9/21/10

Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve

San Francisco was warm and sunny when I left home this morning for another hike on Skyline Road. Last week I went to El Corte de Madera Creek. My friend Emma, who reads the blog and e-mails her comments, maintains a preference for Purisima Creek. I came here once--before I was blogging--at least five years ago. I didn't think it was all that great. It was better than I remember it, but I'm sure I picked different trails this time too.

Anyway, as I said, it was warm and sunny when I left San Francisco... I found Purisima Creek shrouded in fog and mist. I showed up wearing a light t-shirt, and no jacket. After living here for 40 years, I should know better. But it was fine. I warmed up quickly; the trails run up and down the sides of coastal mountains. Had it not been obscured by fog I would have seen the ocean today.

IMG_0002

IMG_0008

IMG_0015

IMG_0028

IMG_0025

IMG_0040

IMG_0126

IMG_0109

The weather gave the woods a haunted feeling. As in, haunted by ghosts. Being startled by a buck staring at me from 20 yards augmented that feeling. I'm not scared of ghosts, which I do not even believe in. (Because no such things exist.) Regardless, I want to document that there was a haunted feeling in the woods today.

IMG_0149

IMG_0133

IMG_0061

IMG_0058

IMG_0055

I was in no hurry so I dallied and did not commit to finishing any loop that I started. I turned back when I didn't want to walk down any too-steep hills that I would later have to walk back up. Nor did I feel like walking on any exposed, windy ridges without a jacket. I stayed in the woods and ventured fourth on three or four trails. I tend to look at the big picture going forward, and the small things coming back.

IMG_0138

IMG_0053

IMG_0095

IMG_0113

IMG_0097

Doug iris

IMG_0083

Ground-nesting yellow jackets typically belong to the genus Vespula in the family Vespidae. All stinging insects belong to the order Hymenoptera which includes bees, wasps, and ants. Hymenoptera venoms kill more people than the venoms of any other venomous animal in the world--as many as 100 people die from it every year in the US. That's remarkable because I know 15-20 thousand people die every year from snake venom in India. How many more people have to die from bees and wasps to make Hymenoptera venom the most deadly? I don't know.

IMG_0086

Yellow jacket venom is different than bee venom. Bee venom primarily contains a polypeptide 26 amino acids long named melittin. Melittin stimulates phospholipases of type A2, a family of enzymes that hydrolyze the middle ester of a phosphoglyceride, triggering a potentially serious inflammatory cascade. Yellow jacket venom contains phospholipases themselves and a variety of other polypeptides and small molecules that initiate inflammatory responses from white blood cells.

IMG_0084

Fortunately, I have never been stung by any stinging insects from the order Hymenoptera. Or bitten by any snakes. I've never even had poison oak. And I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I also do not put much stock in ghosts but will concede, if a woods were haunted, it would be these shown in your photos. And I must say that is the sexiest explication of amino chain/venom triggering I've come across. I'm saving up your post on edible Cal natives to peruse with a bigger chunk of time. Great posts!

Queer by Choice said...

There's something amusing about how you managed to fit both a denial of the existence of ghosts and an insect-venom chemistry lesson into a single entry on a garden blog, which one might not expect to contain either of those things.

I've been stung by honeybees, bumblebees, and gall wasps, and I've had poison oak. I definitely can't recommend any of those experiences, but I'm still pretty sure a rattlesnake bite would be even worse.

Les said...

I will neither deny nor confirm the existance of ghosts, but I will state the the sting from wasps and hornets is much more painful that those from bees. At least with honeybees, I find a small endorphine release after the sting, no such consolation from wasps.

These woods look like a remarkable place, and I love the moss covering the branches.

lisa said...

Between the ghostly trees and the venom talk, this was a very Halloween-esque post. Reminds me to take a walk in the woods...

lisa said...

BTW-the white "eyeball"-looking flowers remind me of the pearly everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea). Same family?