6/19/11

Washington Square Park

in Greenwich Village. Guy had to go to New York for a few days and I tagged along. You may know that I'm ambivalent about the world east of the Sierra Nevada. Here is proof that I get out once in awhile.

It was hot and humid and...well, you probably know what it's like as I gather from reading your blogs that the summer climate across most of the country is rather uniform, varying only by degree of dreadfulness. (And I did live in Atlanta for 1.75 years, including 2 summers.) I tried to get out in the morning for pictures and sight-seeing before the day grew too oppressive, but that was hard because I drank so much liquor at night. Drinks in Manhattan are not cheap, but they mix 'em strong. It's a full commitment.

We stayed in lovely Soho so I passed through Washington Square few times on my way to the subway. The park, like the rest of New York, is packed with people most of the day. That's fine for people-watching, but get out before 11 am if you want to admire the gardening.

Good morning from Washington Square Park

IMG_0095

The last time I was in NYC was about 10 years ago and I didn't pay any attention to the landscaping. It seemed clear that meadow plantings are the rule for seasonal beds in public spaces right now, and whoever is in charge knows what they're doing.

IMG_0094

IMG_0101

IMG_0104

IMG_0093

IMG_0113

IMG_0105

IMG_0084

IMG_0097

"This monument is dedicated to General Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807–1882), the 19th century Italian patriot who crusaded for a unified Italy during the European era of state building..." San Francisco, flush with money by the end of the 19th century, erected lots of bronze monuments on granite pedestals as well. Good ones have a lot of character; I like them.

IMG_0092

The main monument in Washington Square belongs to you know who. There is Washington the war general, accompanied by wisdom and justice,

IMG_0108

And Washington the commander-in-chief, with fame and valor.

IMG_0111

After this, I got on the subway for the Museum of Natural History. I'm not sure why it called to me... Seems like a place I would go, right? I only saw art museums last time. Like everything else in New York, the Museum was packed. Unlike many museums elsewhere, you can take pictures in most of New York's. I took a picture of this carved stone from Latin America using my iPhone without noting the curatorial remarks.

I only took two pictures in the Museum of Nat'l Hist. This is my favorite. Looks like a garden ornament.

Tiring of the crowds, I left the museum and wandered south through Central Park, where I got no relief, despite what this picture would suggest.

random Central Park

There were more bronzes. I snapped two pictures of George Blackall Simonds' The Falconer.

IMG_0128

IMG_0127

That's when I noticed the clouds. Rain was on the way. I brought an umbrella with me but I did not want to get stuck in the rain. And my feet were tired. I got a tasty carnitas torta from a food truck on 9th Avenue near 56th Street and went back to my room. I napped for an hour while it thundered and poured.

1 comment:

Sue Langley said...

Great photos that remind me of movie locations often seen on screen. I haven't been to NY for years.

It's hard to get me out of the Sierra Nevada, as well and I believe I could easily become a hermit, at times. Afer I spend awhile visiting family up to my limit, with traffic and smog, I say "Get me back to the mountains"

Washington Square Park is lovely though.. even seen the movie 'Washington Square'?