3/28/11

Rockefeller Redwoods

This is another of the four redwood groves that I wandered through on Monday, after Founders Grove. I won't blog about all of them, but I think this one deserves special treatment because of the flooded landscape. Whether Rockefeller Redwoods floods every year or not I don't know, but I thought the water-soaked scenery evoked the ancient world these trees belonged to unlike any redwood forest I've ever seen.

The Coast Redwoods growing in California and Oregon are the last surviving members of the genus Sequoia, whose species were widespread on Earth during the time of the dinosaurs 200 MYA. I can just imagine a brontosaurus browsing the foliage being quite at home here...

IMG_0528

IMG_0551

IMG_0561

IMG_0555

IMG_0538

IMG_0571

IMG_0570

IMG_0542

5 comments:

Les said...

These posts are causing a major case of wanderlust here.

Les said...

I just came across this collage from Humbolt State Park on another blog I follow. I thought you might appreciate it.

http://pruned.blogspot.com/2011/03/integrate-vertical-super-surface.html

Megan said...

Damn, you got some beautiful shots!

Josh said...

These are all amazing. Keep the travelogue coming.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! I notice a lot of falllen logs. I did a bit of reading up on nurse logs for a blog post and see plenty of them here. I look forward to reading more of your blog!
Sue