1/10/11

Monday Botanical Garden

I've been cooped up indoors doing homework for days. Today I escaped to the San Francisco Botanical Garden. It was quite cold and I had the place to myself.

IMG_0051

Me and the flowers.

IMG_0054

IMG_0050

IMG_0055

I've taken this picture a hundred times, haven't I:

IMG_0058

This bromeliads-on-horizontal-branches-with-moss-and-chicken-wire thing is an old standard here. I'm surprised more people don't do it at home. If I ever have a big enough tree with horizontal branches I will definitely give it a try.

IMG_0078

It doesn't look cold, does it? A lot of the plants you might think of as likely to suffer in cold weather seemed to look their best today. Alas, by cold, I don't mean freezing. It was in the high 40s.

IMG_0064

I put that little retaining wall in in 2006. Still operational!

IMG_0085

Seed heads of Montanoa grandiflora. The seed heads last longer in the vase than the flowers and look groovy.

IMG_0080

IMG_0091

IMG_0098

IMG_0101

IMG_0103

I've argued dead aloe leaves should be removed. I don't feel that way anymore.

IMG_0108

IMG_0109

IMG_0153

My next garden will have this Aloe and Lecuodendron vignette for sure.

IMG_0154

The yellow Leucodendron is my favorite. Makes me think of bananas.

IMG_0164

Banksia spinulosa var. collina

Luma apiculata
trees from Chile are among my favorite exotic trees. It's the cinnamon-colored bark, partly.

Luma apiculata

IMG_0141

IMG_0123

IMG_0135

IMG_0121

This is about where I decided I was freezing and wanted to go home. Keep warm!

8 comments:

Kate said...

As usual, beautiful pictures! I especially like that Leucodendron also.

danger garden said...

Ah what a perfect mid January moment.

Laguna Dirt said...

i loved all your photos. i agree: leave the dead stuff.

Christopher C. NC said...

Brrr! It does look cold and dreary.

Les said...

That weather would be a nice change compared to what we've been having. I tried hanging Spanish Moss from the oak in the backyard to remind me of Charlestton, but it all was quickly used to build bird nests.

Anonymous said...

Of course you have the place to yourself! The racist elitists at the San Francisco Botanical Garden Society have paid hundreds of thousands to lobbyist Sam Lauter to bribe the Supervisors, and Vietnam war criminal Mark Buell chipped in.

Now, the locals no longer go, and visitors feel ripped off when they alone are charged the $7.

The City is losing money bigtime on this proposal. Can you help?

Denise said...

Love to see Salvia semiatrata. I'd probably trim the aloes' dead leaves and the melianthus flowers off too -- in a small garden, not a large botanical garden. The aloes and leuc's are fantastic together.

Kristi said...

Great shots as always, I wish I could snap my fingers and transplant portions of that garden into my yard.