3/28/12

Adrienne Rich died

She was a famous poet (well, famous enough to be included by the Norton Anthology) who lived in Santa Cruz, which is where I became aware of her, in college. She was taught there in many classes as an important lesbian feminist. That's fine. I particularly enjoyed her sense of place and attention to geography and the natural environment. These are qualities I, and I'm sure you, try to cultivate as gardeners. Her collection, An Atlas of the Difficult World is one of my favorites--poignant, lyrical, and acutely observant. Here is the fifth poem from that book. (It is all one poem, but I've broken it up to make it easier to read from pictures.)









1 comment:

ryan said...

No comments for Adrienne Rich. She was great. I don't generally like poets but I liked her. Glad to see you making note of her passing.