9/18/11

Chelsea Physic Garden

Guy and I went to London last week. Of course, I had gardens on my mind. Our first stop was the Chelsea Physic, the UK's second oldest botanical garden, situated on the Thames in one of London's most glamorous neighborhoods:

"The Chelsea Physic Garden was founded by the Society of Apothecaries in 1673 in order to promote the study of botany in relation to medicine, then known as the 'physic' or healing arts. As the second oldest botanic garden in England it still fulfills the traditional functions of scientific research and plant conservation and undertakes to educate and inform as well as to provide the amenity of a walled 'secret' garden in the heart of London."
Guy took the self-guided listening tour but I opted instead to walk around and take pictures. Are garden tours ever worthwhile? Guy enjoyed his, but I usually feel like I'm being told a lot of stuff I already know or could look up online if I wanted to know. For example, you can read about the garden's history and plant collection here and here.

We arrived early and admired the neighborhood while we waited for the garden to open. This is what Chelsea looks like:

IMG_1415

The city peaks over the garden's edges very charmingly.

IMG_1419

IMG_1535

(The various greenhouses contained nice collections of ferns, succulents, and other Mediterranean-climate plants. We'll take a look inside before we go.)

IMG_1441

IMG_1504

IMG_1543

IMG_1433

IMG_1425

IMG_1422

The garden left no doubt about the end of summer. I saw deciduous leaves showing color or turning brown and annuals near death with seed heads left to ripen.

IMG_1421

IMG_1437

IMG_1473

As I mentioned recently, Vitis in my garden is already much farther along. I peaked out from the deck upon arriving home yesterday and saw the vine nearly bare!

IMG_1488

IMG_1489

IMG_1420

IMG_1516

In my experience, this is what hosta would look like all year in coastal California where the absence of frost or freeze keeps it from dying back completely in winter:

IMG_1466

Instead, cold temperatures cause most leaves to drop and slows its growth. Winter heatwaves inspire new growth, but the long, slow spring it is never fast enough to outrun the slugs and snails. That, plus its water requirements make hosta unsuitable in most Californian garden situations. In my experience, garden books that recommend it for shade are unlikely to contain much else of use to us either. So there. I still talk about gardening on this blog.

Functional evergreens pruned into spheres and well-defined beds hinted at some structure of the winter garden to come.

IMG_1418

IMG_1534

Laurus nobilis standards:

IMG_1549

Topiary and rectangular beds--fine structure in an English garden. Or Italian for that matter. After London we went to Rome--stay tuned.

IMG_1424

IMG_1503

IMG_1459

IMG_1446

IMG_1541

Californian garden paths tend to be gravel or hardscape. I'm trying to remember if I have ever wandered a grassy garden path before. Even in Seattle..? I think this part might have been a completely new experience for me.

IMG_1481

IMG_1465

IMG_1462

IMG_1457

The back part of the garden looked a lot like San Francisco to me.

IMG_1487

I could be in Golden Gate Park right now.

IMG_1467

Luma apiculata, from Chile, but found throughout San Francisco:

IMG_1485

Actually, I saw several familiar faces. Can you see what this man is taking a picture of?

IMG_1479

Romneya coulteri!

IMG_1517

They have it planted in a rectangular perennial bed, and judging by the size it looked new this year. Congratulations on getting it established--successfully transplanting romneya from the nursery pot can be difficult--but I assume they are not going to keep it. Thuggish Romneya is not suitable for tidy rectangular perennial beds with lawn borders--not in California anyway. I didn't take the tour so I missed the opportunity to inquire.

Speaking of garden thugs....

IMG_1497

Cobaea scandens!

IMG_1495

I laughed out loud when I came up on this plant growing so well-behaved on a nice tee-pee! In my garden it grew up an 11' deck post before overtaking the deck and threatening to take the whole damn house! I gave it a hard pruning from which it never recovered. I have volunteers now that I haven't removed. Well, I'm thinking about it. The white flower form is very pretty. You may recall I had (have) the common purple, which I often found too dark.

IMG_1499

It was sunny when we arrived, but by this point it started to rain, so I moved in to the greenhouses.

IMG_1426

IMG_1530

IMG_1533

IMG_1532

IMG_1526

IMG_1523

IMG_1524

It cleared up fairly quickly. We enjoyed what I assume is nearing the end of this year's flowers and went on with the rest of the day.

IMG_1513

IMG_1500

IMG_1492

IMG_1494

Thank you Chelsea Physic for a lovely first morning in London.

IMG_1552

1 comment:

Christopher C. NC said...

What a wonderful garden. The edges on those beds were so sharp I bet you could have cut yourself if you fell or stepped on them. All I need is level ground and 400 years to have a garden like this.