12/15/10

Bloom Day!

Suddenly, it's Bloom Day! How did that happen?

There is not much blooming in the garden, but a couple things that are blooming are doing so prolifically. I am going to drive that point home by showing you multiple pictures of the same plant.

I worried a little bit when Tithonia diversifolia started to bloom in October. Did that mean it wouldn't bloom in December and January? Apparently, no.

IMG_0001

The subtle chocolate scent from the flowers is nice if you remember to sniff for it.

IMG_0020

They do a pretty good job holding up in the vase too. They last a week for me.

IMG_0025

Cestrum elegans, weighed down recent rain:

IMG_0006

I don't know what it's like in the vase. This plant is even more florific than than Tithonia, although I seem to have taken the same picture twice.

IMG_0008

Elsewhere there are stray blooms.

IMG_0016

Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba' has candy-cane colors, doesn't it.

Fuchsia boliviana 'Alba'

I can always find Abutilon flowers. This is one of the oldest plants in my garden. I've moved it many times, but it's going to stay here with the cordyline from now on.

IMG_0019

Passiflora citrina promises future flowers. Imminent flowers, really. If Bloom Day was tomorrow, we'd have a bloom.

IMG_0017

That will do it for me this month. You can visit May Dreams Gardens in Indiana for much more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chuck, I love seeing your blooms. What a delightful plant the Tithonia is, I hope you sniff it often.

BTW, your follow me on twitter link isn't working properly, for me anyway.

xxoo
Frances

Anonymous said...

I always hate it when the rain knocks my plants out of shape, but somehow your Cestrum looks as if it belongs that way.

Town Mouse said...

Love that Tithonia! I need more yellow in my garden... As for Albutilon, I wacked mine to the ground to make it a small tree, we'll see how that will work out.

Happy bloom day!

Wally said...

Gorgeous plants, a few I hadn't heard of.

Houston Garden Girl said...

I love fuchsia! But no way it can survive a Houston summer. I saw a great collection this past summer at the South Coast Botanic Gardens near LA.

Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

Ooh, I think we have similar taste in flowers, but mine are all asleep right now. I love your abutilon, fuchsia, and tithonia!