10/25/09

And now for the South Grove; Calaveras Big Trees SP

After visiting the North Grove, we had a little lunch, and went south.

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

I wonder what tells the lichen it can grow on trunks or branches, only.

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Incsense cedar (Calocedrus decurrens), and Big Leaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum)?

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP



Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Calaveras Big Trees SP

Thank you Carri and Jason and Katie and Chris for inviting us to go with you on this wonderful trip!

Calaveras Big Trees SP

12 comments:

ryan said...

Awesome. I haven't been to Calaveras since I was a kid. Nice to see it with fall color.
The recumbent bench in the other post is really clever.

Unknown said...

Wow- your pictures turned out awesome Chuck! So glad you guys could join us! Let me know when you're ready to see more of this area! Jason is finally admitting Guy is right (after doing his own research...haha), although he did read that the tree's get hollowed out by a fungus sometimes- but usually it's a fire that creates a spot for the fungus to get in. Sooo....I think it's fair to say it's always caused by fire!

Les said...

I have suddenly forgotten everything else I have looked at tonight. The forest and the trees are spectacular, and I would love to see them with my own eyes. The fungus dripping with moisture is as beautiful as the fall foliage.

Katie said...

Beautiful pictures. It's so great to see things through your lens.

And that falling leaves video! I'm so thrilled you got that moment on video. We were all standing there in awe listening to them fall. It was a top 10 moment in my life. I'm glad to have been able to share it with great people.

Unknown said...

Fantastic pics Chuck. I may be even more bummed that I couldn't get away from work to join you all, but you really came through with the photos. And the video is way cool too!

Pam/Digging said...

You must have hit it at peak leaf season. Just beautiful.

Brad B said...

Great photos. I love all the fall color. I've never been to Calaveras S.P. I might have to go next year. Really beautiful. Your last post also did a good job of capturing the immensity of the sequoias. Something that's really hard to do.

Christopher C. NC said...

I'll have to check to be sure, but it looks like you have a bigger maple leaf than we do. The Striped Maple, Acer pennsylvanicum could be contender. Now our Umbrella Tree, Magnolia tripetala has a way bigger leaf if it counts.

You do have much much bigger trees there in California though. Fall even looks passable.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing the people perspective for those tree trunks! I had no idea. Watching the leaves fall is so enjoyable here too, even if I have to get them off the deck and paths so we don't slip. What a magnificent place. Wish I could think of a term more befitting the feeling evoked with your pix and video. I am really into images of woodland paths lately, you have some great ones.
Frances

Lola said...

That was a magnificent hike through all that beauty. Thanks for allowing us to go with you.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Chuck,

I visited there once as a child and remembered it to be a beautiful place. You have proved that my memory is not faulty (at least not yet).

IlonaGarden said...

those pictures really are awesome!

I love the 'lichens' photo with its strong v form.