4/21/09

Dinner party in the West Seattle garden

IMG_6592

Julie's friend and Amazon.com co-worker Mari invited us to dinner at her home in West Seattle. Mari gardens and contributes garden content to the Amazon book blog, Omnivoracious.

Gardeners in the Pacific Northwest are especially busy right now pulling themselves out of an intense, long-lingering winter.

IMG_6594

(You wouldn't know that part about winter by looking around Mari's garden however.)

IMG_6593

IMG_6597

Yeah--by the way--I'm totally stealing this idea of planting Sempervivum directly in the edges and corners of my garden path.

IMG_6589

Mari's husband Andrew is a welder and metal sculptor, and the garden makes use of his talents. He's built benches, containers, railing, a pond, a number of sculptures, and the metal super-structure for a pizza oven, coming soon.

IMG_6588

IMG_6586

IMG_6582

By summer, a flowering vine totally engulfs the loaded artillery cannon.

IMG_6587

We arrived early. No, right on time. On the dot, in fact. We are punctual guests.

IMG_6601

Mari and Andrew's garden will be featured on HGTV's Gardening by the Yard with Paul James this fall. I'll be sure to mention it when the time comes around.

You can also visit this garden with Julie in June 2007 and May 2008.

10 comments:

Christopher C. NC said...

Way cool garden. I love it when art (sculpture) and the garden join forces.

lola said...

Looks as though you had a marvelous time. Dinner in a garden like that would be heaven.
I met Paul James in person. He is a very knowledgeable person. Great lecturer.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Hey you are here for the most perfect weather we've had all year! My sister lives in West Seattle.
Your friends have a really neat yard.

Sarah O. said...

Great garden, I love the rough wood structure (?) as a backdrop as well. And the sculptures give me some ideas (nothing specific). My father is a sheet metal worker (he also welds) and he's planning on starting his own weather vane business once he retires. I tell him I'd be using him for trellises and garden sculptures once I finish my MLArch degree.

chuck b. said...

That's going to be a new studio.

Mari Malcolm said...

Very fun to have you, Chuck! Your visit was a great occasion for a party, and you're welcome any time.

Love the pictures.

lisa said...

What a cool garden! Deserving to be featured for sure.

Frances said...

Simply mind boggling. So much going on, I don't know where to look, it is all fabulous. But those wavy step railings jumped out and knocked me over! Too cool.
Frances

red studio said...

What a beautiful garden and amazing sculpture. You have an artistic eye for photography.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

What an awesome place! I love all the welded art! Thanks for the tour and let me know when the show is I want to watch(-: