2/4/09

Fremont's Camas and other sights

This morning when I found Fremont's Camas (Zigadenus fremontii) blooming in my garden, it reminded me that I haven't yet found the low-growing, endemic form on Bernal Hill. I've been looking for it for years without success.

Zigadenus fremontii

So I decided to run up the hill and see if my luck has changed. It's always fun to come up here.

IMG_3000

The trails cut across some very steep gradients.

IMG_2995

Wouldn't want to slip.

IMG_2997

So once I got up there, I went right to Fremont's Camas like I've always known where to find it. Ten acres, and it's the first thing I see today.

IMG_2989

Then I found a little patch of three of them holding their own against the weeds and grasses. I wonder if these specimens are genetically dwarfed, or just small because of the rocky substrate they grow on. It would be fun to collect a little seed and find out.

IMG_2992

"Find the low-growing Bernal-endemic Fremont's Camas." Okay, cross that one off the list.

Elsewhere some other things to see...lots of Sanicula arctopoides.

IMG_2999

This guy seems to to desire the most undesirable sites.

IMG_3001

I don't know what this little orange aster is but it looks like Calendula to me.

IMG_3005

And there's a lot of it.

IMG_3003

Lots of plantago too.

IMG_3006

Lots of it everywhere I guess.

Plantago

And I always like to check in on this patch of Hummingbird Sage (Salvia spathacea) on Bernal Hill's eastern-most outcrop. Doing well!

IMG_3011

6 comments:

Gail said...

That is a fantastic view from the top of the hill! That is a sweet sage. gail

Michelle said...

The plants that maintain a toehold in the middle of an urban environment always fascinate me! That Sanicula is really interesting, I don't recall seeing it before. So far, all that's blooming on my hillside are the shooting stars - saw the first white one today.

Unknown said...

Just a beautiful view from up here!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chuck, I would swear that was calendula, is that a native there or an escapee? How funny that you went right to the patch of camas too, good luck was with you. The steepness of the slope is similar to spots here, but the difference is that no one has tried to build on ours.
Frances

chuck b. said...

Every vtime I look at that picture, I think it looks like Calendula. The leaves and everything. I've never heard of it escaping, and to have escaped to this very odd location on the side of a hill...well, it seems very strange, I think. Maybe someone sowed it. Which just triggers a whole set of other, strange assumptions.

lisa said...

The elusive camas! I'm glad you found it (and DIDN'T slip down that hill! :)