7/9/08

The fentanyl patch comes off

Not easy! It was quite adhered. But I managed to peel it off with only two meows of pain from the patient. Opioids cause constipation, and Penny appears to be constipated. With what, I don't know. She's only had about one tablespoon's worth of food since Saturday. But she gets in her litter box and strains without product. I believe the constipation is causing her appetite to decrease, and she needs to eat so she can heal.

So, I'm going to give her an enema. (After this blog post--don't worry. P.S. I was a veterinary technician in another life. I can do this.)

Hopefully we'll get her unclogged so she will start eating again. I've force-fed her what little food she's had the last few days. Actually, no so much force-fed, as trick fed. I smear a little baby food on the side of her mouth and, being fastidious, she can't help but ingest it while grooming.


Offered here, for your delectation, 20 seconds of feline grooming.

11 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Hopefully that does the trick for kitty. I imagine she is quite uncomfy with that problem(-:

gintoino said...

That is weird...If she is not eating how come she is constipated? Have you talked to the vet? She should have started eating about 12h after surgery.She needs to get that bowel working as soon as possible. Best wishes

Phillip Oliver said...

I love to watch to do that.

By the way, I'm really enjoying the Penelope Hobhouse dvd. Just got Part 2 yesterday. Thanks for mentioning it!

Anonymous said...

Poor kitty! Maybe a bit of catnip! Hope she is running smoothly soon.

Frances, said...

Vet tech, huh. She is in good hands. You will get her straightened out, bless her little sweet heart.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're a former vet tech, Chuck... I was a little worried about you playing with her meds and such until I read that, I confess. Hope that your little Penny starts eating again and heals up soon.

JvA said...

How did the enema go?

Randy said...

Chuck, I use to manage a vet hospital in a previous life. :-)We always gave them honey, that seems to help.

Jenn said...

When my kitty was post op, I would mix chicken baby food with the stinky canned stuff they gave me half and half, and then microwave that for a few seconds, just to really punch the flavors up (and pee-yuu, too)

I eventually did a syringe feeding out of sheer frustration, and once he started eating after that, he was good to eat.

It's all in tempting them to start again.

lisa said...

Poor Penny! She's so slim already...if we lived closer my (son's) cats could show her how to eat, they're chubs! Seriously though, I hope she feels better soon!

Unknown said...

If you or a loved one has been negatively affected by Fentanyl or recalled Duragesic pain patches it is important to seek legal compensation today. The attorneys at McEwen Law Firm understand the hardship you and your family has suffered as a result of pain patches and is dedicated to providing you with the best legal support possible.

McEwen Law Firm is knowledgeable regarding Fentanyl recalls, deaths, and withdrawal. For more information or to get started on a Fentanyl lawsuit today please fill out our contact form or call (800) 732-3070. We offer free, no obligation, consultations and will not charge you anything unless we win your case.

http://www.fentanylpainpatchlawyer.com/