5/22/08

The California Trip, Part Seven: Lotusland

Of course we visited Lotusland. I filled my camera's memory card during the two-hour tour, and the camera wasn't even set to highest res. There is so much to say about this garden--but what really stands out is the repetition of plants. Walking along a large drift of old Beaucarnea recurvata was something I won't forget.

Pictorially speaking, this is a mere sampling.

Hymenosporum flavum Pittosporaceae

IMG_8672

IMG_8756

IMG_8765

IMG_8787

IMG_8794

IMG_8807

IMG_8865

IMG_8878

IMG_8962

IMG_8964

IMG_8987

IMG_9002

IMG_9019

IMG_9083

IMG_9092

IMG_9135

IMG_9150

IMG_9152

ADDED: More here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic and fantastical! I've never heard of this place, but now I'd love to see it in person.

Unknown said...

That lion would eat BOTH of my lions for breakfast! *grin*

I really love that urn of dripping succulents in the middle of the sheared-wall-shrub circle. Wow.

Phillip Oliver said...

I have read so much about this place. Thanks for sharing!

gintoino said...

What a fantastic place to visit. I'm really enjoying this California trip. Thanx for sharing it with us.
Is that Aloe plicatilis in the last picture. They are beautiful!

lisa said...

Wow! I love that succulent "tree" in the middle of the brickwork...at first it looked like an actual fountain. I dig that statuary too.

Gardener of La Mancha said...

Awesome. I too love the succulent enclosed in the hedge, as well as the bromeliad forest (!) and the aloe (?) at the end. And, as a Californian, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of Lotusland. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Unknown said...

By the way, think I could find a clamshell like that in Lake Erie? That would be SWEET in my garden! :D

Jenn said...

Sweet. One of these days I will have to make something of a pilgrimage and get up there to see that. Lotusland is a fantasm. Too much for the camera, I suspect.

Great shots!

Christopher C. NC said...

Frankly I am a bit concerned. This visit to Lotusland could exacerbate your Seussian tendancies.